Friday, July 17, 2009

Will Shanghai Girls Disappoint Me?


So far, I am progressing part way through Lisa See's newest novel, Shanghai Girls, without nodding off or needing to reach for chocolate. In fact, I would feel guilty squeezing the bottoms of mystery bonbons out of respect for the trials and travails of sisters May and Pearl, who at this point are waiting out a pregnancy in the detention camp on Angel Island in San Francisco Bay. Have to say, the story's set up in Shanghai was very good, although I recognized the author's usual tendency to overstuff her storyline with heaps of descriptive detail meant to educate the reader. In this case, she seemed to better blend in her well researched factoids so that I didn't feel like I was being hit over the head with them. Yay, Lisa See! I will plod on at my supersonic reading pace and report more later. I have hopes for this book.

No comments: